system two

system two
start-up thinking in the enterprise

Tuesday, 2 March 2010

pushing the stupid kid...

I was having a conversation with an acquaintance recently. He is a fairly senior exec at a big ad agency.

Reminded me of a piece I'd seen here

At one point in the conversation he said "I can tell the people who walk into any supermarket to buy whatever I want"

I said that didn't apply to me, and he agreed - but pointed out that there are a lot more stupid people in the world that bright ones.

On a practial level he's correct - 50% of the population have an IQ under 100. Nearly 20% of the population are classified as retarded (with an IQ under 80). The population is also probably getting more stupid, due to a dysgenic effect. See Bell Curve for a brilliant (if controversial) disection of IQ here.

If the acquaintance is right. That IQ affects an individuals susceptibility to marketing - then it all starts to feel a little uncomfortable. Does for instance, the 15% of the internet population who click on banners simply represent all the stupid people online?